Saturday, August 6, 2016

Sweet Potato Mash............

Many years ago, I went to a restaurant in Salisbury, MD. I had the most delicious sweet potato mash I had ever had. At least up to that point of my young life. I was used to mashed sweet potatoes with butter and a little brown sugar. That's it. So my culinary world was widened that night.
Sweet Potato Mash
6 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
3-4 Tbsp brown sugar, to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp orange zest
1/4 lb butter
Add: 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, to make the potatoes light and fluffy. More if needed. Mix the last 6 ingredients with the sweet potatoes and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.

If you like a topping on your casserole, here is a quick topping to put on before baking.
Streusal Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
6 Tbsp cold butter
1 cup pecans, chopped
Cut butter into flour and sugar. Add the pecans and sprinkle on the sweet potato casserole. Bake at 350F for 30-40 min.
Till next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment