Monday, May 26, 2014

Peas and Dumpling Soup......

With summer coming on and the fresh spring peas arriving soon, here is an idea for lunch or supper. It is so easy and so good. The recipe for the slick dumplings is nothing more than flour, salt, shortening and warm water.  I am sharing my recipe with you, but I have made it so many times, I don't use the recipe anymore. Mix it all together and let the dough rest for 30 minutes before rolling out. It makes it so much easier to roll out. The dough will be moist, so use a lot of flour rolling the dough out; so it doesn't stick to your board or counter. Then you want to roll it about 1/8 of an inch thick as it will almost double in thickness when it is cooked.



Dumplings
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water
Optional: 1 Tbsp of Crisco (I like the texture it give the dumplings.) But they are good without the shortening as well. This recipe will serve 4-6 but that depends on how much dumplings you want. After you have it rolled out, drop the dumplings in boiling broth, I use chicken broth. When the dumplings are done after about 10-15 minutes, I drop in my frozen peas and let it cooked for a few more minutes. Done! Now enjoy a bowl of delicious pea and dumpling soup. 

This makes a great lunch or supper. This recipe originally came from the Governor of Delaware; in a folder giving his favorite recipes. It's been a favorite of my family as well. I use the same recipe for Chicken and Dumplings.
Till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment