Friday, May 30, 2014

Blueberry Jam......

Okay, I lied yesterday when I said I would not make anymore jam till peach season. I got to thinking about the beautiful blueberries you see in the store and decided it was time to make jam again. But....the price was a deterrent. $4. a box!! The frozen were half the price, so got me a 4 lb bag and headed for the checkout. Peak season for blueberries in the U.S.A. is from Mid June to Late August. Although blueberries are available almost year round in the markets.
I started prepping the lids, jars, rings and measuring out the sugar, lemon juice and blueberries. I used my food processor to chop up the blueberries. So much easier than mashing the fruit. I finished cooking the jam and started filling the jars for the canning pot. Boiled them for 10 minutes and took them out to cool. They sealed almost immediately.
I got 8 nice jars of jam. Yes, I know, there are only 7 in the photo. But one of the jars is in the fridge. I had to leave one to eat, right?
This was breakfast when I got done making jam and cleaning up the kitchen. Then I sat down with a cup of coffee and some blueberry toast. Yum! That's what I did this morning.
Till next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment