Monday, April 9, 2012

Gram's Bread Stuffing......

One of the first recipes I got from my Gram when I was getting ready to be married years ago; was this bread stuffing recipe. I love stuffing, but I had no idea how to make it. So her recipe was a priceless piece of information for me. Over the years, I have found I like sausage in my stuffing and I like to use Pepperidge Farm Original White Bread for the bread cubes. If you have a family member who can't eat onions; adding dried cranberries, chopped mushrooms and English walnuts are a great addition to the stuffing. It only takes about a 1/2 cup of each. There is no salt in this recipe; as the bouillon or broth adds enough salt.
 Bread Stuffing
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped celery
1 1/2 cups melted Swift’s Brookfield butter (any brand will do)
16 cups dry bread cubes  (Pepperidge Farm bread)
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

4 cups water with 2 bouillon cubes or 4 cups broth from cooked giblets.

Brown the onion and celery in butter in a heavy skillet. Combine with bread cubes and seasonings. Pour on the broth and toss lightly to blend. Bake in 350 degree for 30-45 minutes. Or stuff the poultry and cooked to desired temperature for stuffed poultry.
Till next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment