Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Neuschwanstein Castle.....

Here are a couple of photos from the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, near the town of Fussen. It was built in the beautiful Alps by King Ludwig II of Bavaria in the 19th century. Construction was started in 1869 but because the King wanted everything perfect, it was not yet finished in 1886; when the King Ludwig died.
I walked up the long and winding hill to the castle with the tour; but when it came to climbing the stairs in the castle, I could not make it. So a friend of mine and I waited by this door for the rest of the tour to exit the castle. It has the appearance of a fairytale castle and has often been called "The Fairytale Castle".

As we waited by this door, I found the door most interesting. The door knocker was intriguing as well. What I found a bit odd was the fact that the horseshoe above the door was turned upside down. According to folklore in my home country, that would let the luck and good fortune drop out. But then King Ludwig did have a few different ideas to say the least. Also perhaps, that is not the folklore of that country.
Till next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment